What are wisdom teeth?
Your wisdom or third molars grow at the back of your mouth. Typically, they appear during teenage and adult years—17 and 21. Wisdom teeth should be healthy and grow in properly without causing any issues.
What causes issues with wisdom teeth?
When there is insufficient space to accommodate the wisdom teeth they may be impacted or grow in at the wrong angle. This can increase your risk of infection and inflammation of the gums.
What are the symptoms of wisdom teeth problems?
Many times, a patient may not experience symptoms during or after the eruption of their wisdom teeth. However, one may experience:
- Bad breath.
- Jaw pain or swelling.
- Tender gums or gums that bleed.
- Issues opening your mouth.
How are wisdom teeth problems diagnosed?
During an exam with your dentist in Port Moody, BC V3H 2B5 they will analyze your mouth to see if there are issues with your wisdom teeth growing in. X-rays will also be conducted to determine if there is a need for extraction.
Wisdom Tooth Extraction
To numb the affected area, your dentist will first administer a local anesthetic.
To extract the wisdom tooth, your dentist will create an incision in your gum tissue to remove any bone that is concealing the tooth. The tissue connecting the tooth to the bone is separated and then the tooth is removed. In some cases, your dentist may “section” the tooth, cutting it into fragments which will simplify the removal process.
You may require stitches once your tooth is removed. Some stitches will dissolve over time and some must be removed within a few days.
Expectations after surgery
Usually, recovering from wisdom tooth extraction only takes a few days. Follow all your dentist’s instructions. These tips can help expedite your recovery process:
- Gently bite on a gauze pad periodically and replace it once it becomes drenched in blood.
- Use a cold compress for 24 hours following the procedure.
- Refrain from physical activity and stick to a soft-food diet.
- Refrain from using a straw the first day.
- Gently gargle with salt water a few times per day.
- Refrain from smoking for a minimum of 24 hours’ post-surgery.
- Carefully brush your teeth and tongue.
The top reasons for wisdom tooth removal
- Your mouth has limited space for wisdom teeth to erupt. The wisdom teeth become difficult to clean and as a result, infection and inflammation is common.
- Even when the wisdom teeth erupt properly, they are difficult to clean and don’t serve a genuine purpose.
- They are at high-risk for cavities.
- Wisdom teeth can develop cysts and tumours.
- The older the patient is, the higher their risk of complications.
- Receding gum tissue, jawbone deterioration and tooth loss can be attributed to gum disease and inflammation.
- Wisdom teeth can crowd other teeth.
- According to research, inflammation caused by wisdom teeth can enter your bloodstream and cause a variety of diseases, such as diabetes and cardiovascular disease.
- Early extraction of wisdom teeth in Port Moody, BC V3H 2B5 can result in faster and easier recovery.
- Peace of mind!